8:095-AP1 – Parent Involvement
Building Principals shall advocate effective, comprehensive family involvement in education that will promote parents/guardians becoming active partners in education. Building Principals shall, provide a written report to the Superintendent on parental involvement programs and efforts in their buildings upon request.
Although not exhaustive, the following identify State legislation mandating parental involvement:
- Parent/guardian has right of access to a child’s records (105 ILCS 10/5.)
- Parent/guardian has the right to challenge the content of child’s records (105 ILCS 10/7).
- Non-custodial parent has right to receive copies of school correspondence and reports (105 ILCS 5/10-21.8).
- Schools must notify parents/guardians of their school visitation rights (820 ILCS 147/25).
- District must notify parent/guardian of child’s placement in English language learner programs (105 ILCS 5/14C-4).
- Non-custodial parent has right to receive notices of major school-sponsored events, including parent-teacher conferences (105 ILCS 5/10-21.8).
- For students in Kindergarten – 8th, the school must notify parents/guardians within two hours of child’s absence from school (105 ILCS 5/26-3b).
- District is responsible for notifying parents/guardians of graduation requirements, particularly when a student’s eligibility for graduation may be in question. (23 Ill Admin.Code §1.440 (e).
- A student’s suspension must be reported to the parents/guardians (105 ILCS 5/10-22.6).
- A student’s expulsion may occur only after the parents/guardians have been requested to appear at a meeting with the board or board’s hearing officer (105 ILCS 5/10-22.6).
- District must post a school report card on its website and, upon request, send it to the parent(s)/guardians(s). If the District does not maintain a website, the report card shall be sent to parents/guardians without request. The District shall send a written notice home to parents/guardians stating that: (1) the report card is available on the website, (2) the website address; (3) a printed copy will be sent upon request; and (4) the telephone number to call to request a printed copy (105 ILCS 5/10-17a).
Parent/Teacher Advisory Committees
- School Board shall establish a parent-teacher advisory committee on student discipline (105 ILCS 5/10-20.14).
- State law requires parents/guardians be notified, consulted, and kept involved with the education and placement of a child with disabilities (105 ILCS 5/14-1 et seq.)
- If a parent/guardian objects, the student is not required to take sex education classes or course (105 ILCS5/27-9.1, 5/27-9.1 and 110/3).
- Parent/guardian has right to examine instructional materials to be used in sex education classes or courses (105 ILCS 5/27-9.1, 5/27-9.2, and 110/3).
- School Board shall determine the instructional program with involvement of parents/guardians (23 Ill.Admin.Code §1.410).
- District must consult with parent/guardian on an individual remediation plan for students demonstrating a proficiency level comparable to the average pupil performance one grade or more below current placement (105 ILCS 5/2-3.64(b).
- District must notify parents/guardians or graduation requirements, particularly when a student’s eligibility for graduation may be in question. (23 Ill. Admin. Code §440(e).
- School boards may use parent/guardian volunteers as: (1) assistants under the immediate supervision of a certified teacher (105 ILCS 5/10-22.34); (2) supervisors, chaperones or sponsors for non-academic activities (105 ILCS 5/10-22.34a); and (3) guest lecturers or resource persons under the immediate supervision of a certified teacher (105 ILCS 5/10-22.34b).
- Upon parent/guardian’s request, student must be released for religious observance (105 ILCS 5/26-1(5).
Conferences and Hearings
- State law requires parents/guardians be notified, consulted, and kept involved with the education and placement of a child with disabilities (105-ILCS 5/14-1 et seq.)
- Parents/guardians have the right to an unpaid leave from work to attend educational or behavioral conferences (820 ILCS 147/1).
- District may use 2 days for parent-teacher conferences or could add more days to the teacher work year subject to collective bargaining (105 ILCS 5/3-11).
- Non-custodian parent receives notices of parent-teacher conferences (105 ILCS 5/10-21.8).
- A hearing with the parents/guardians must precede a student’s expulsion (105 ILCS 5/10-22.6).
Report on Parental Involvement
- Parental involvement shall be included in the school report card (105 ILCS 5/10-17a).
- Parents as teachers program (105 ILCS 225/5).
Date Adopted: 08/11/2010
Date Amended: 04/22/2015