The decision to open or close schools is made in consultation with surrounding school districts, our transportation provider, city road reports, and National Weather Service information.
Many factors go into the decision, including current and/or predicted air temperature, wind chill, snowfall, road conditions, busing reports from our transportation provider, and the condition of school mechanical systems. So there is not a specific set of criteria. For cold temperatures, we have, in the past, contemplated closing when the National Weather Service has issued a warning. We typically do not close for weather advisories, which are less severe. Please note that Batavia Public School District 101 will only announce when schools are closed.
We make every effort to provide a safe and secure school environment. You, however, make the final decision regarding your child’s welfare. If schools are open, please only send your child to school if you feel your local conditions are safe.
To help keep you informed of school closings, we have six resources:
- BPS101 Messenger: Set your personal delivery preferences for email, text messages and/or phone calls in PowerSchool.
- BPS101 Emergency Advisory Line: Call (630) 937-8899 anytime for updates.
- BPS101 Website: Our site will have notices posted by 6 a.m.
- Twitter: Follow the District on Twitter @BPS101
- Facebook: Get updates in your news feed by “liking” the District
- Emergency Closing Center: Information is broadcast on all Chicago-area TV stations and on the radio stations WGN AM 720 and WBBM AM 780.
Please be advised that notification systems are not perfect. Radio and television notices are not always broadcasted promptly, web pages are not always available, and telephone communications may not always be possible. For this reason, we use multiple communication channels to provide you with accurate and timely information.
To ensure that you receive important school closing notifications, the District encourages you to access or subscribe to more than one of these resources.
Please take a moment to check your phone number(s) and email address(s) in PowerSchool to make sure we have accurate contact information for you. Primary guardians can edit incorrect information by clicking on the “Registration Info” tab on the left side of the screen.