6:250 Community Resource Persons and Volunteers
The Board of Education encourages the use of volunteers to: (1) increase students’ educational attainment, (2) provide enrichment experiences for students, (3) increase the effective utilization of staff time and skills, (4) give more individual attention to students, and (5) promote greater community involvement.
Volunteers may be used:
- For non-teaching duties not requiring instructional judgment or evaluation of students;
- For supervising study halls, long distance teaching reception areas used incident to instructional programs transmitted by electronic media (such as computers, video, and audio), detention and discipline areas, and school-sponsored extracurricular activities;
- To assist with academic programs under a certificated teacher’s immediate supervision;
- To assist in times of violence or other traumatic incidents within the district by providing crisis intervention services to lessen the effects of emotional trauma on staff, students, and the community, provided the volunteer meets the qualifications established by the Ill. School Crisis Assistance Team Steering Committee;
- As a guest lecturer or resource person under a certificated teacher’s direction and with the administration’s approval; or
- As supervisors, chaperones, or sponsors for non-academic school activities.
The Superintendent or designee shall follow Board policy 4:175; Convicted Child Sex Offender; Screening; Notifications, to establish procedures for securing and screening resource persons and volunteers. No person who is a “sex offender,” as defined by the Sex Offender Registration Act, or a “violent offender against youth” as defined in the “Murderer and Violet Offender Against Youth Registration Act”, is prohibited from being a resource person or volunteer. All volunteer coaches must comply with the requirement to report hazing in Policy 5:090 Abused and Neglected Child Reporting.
730 ILCS 152/101 et seq. Failure to Report Hazing
730 ILCS 150/1, et seq. Sex Offender Registration Act
730 ILCS 152/101, et seq., Sex Offender Community Notification Law
730 ILCS 154/75 et seq., Murderer and Violent Offender Against youth Community Notification Law
730 ILCS 154/101 et seq., Murder and Violent Offender Against Youth Registration Act.
Date Adopted: January 26, 2010
Date Amended: December 11, 2013
Date Amended: September 18 2018