6:235-E4 – Authorization for Electronic Network Access
Each staff member must sign this Authorization as a condition for using the District’s Electronic Network connection. Each student and his or her parent(s)/guardian(s) must sign the Authorization before being granted unsupervised access. Please read this document carefully before signing.
Batavia School District No. 101
Acceptable Use Policy
Batavia School District 101 (the “School District”) provides computers and Internet access as one of the ways to advance its educational mission. Technology, which includes computers, networks, and the Internet, has become part of that environment. Use of School District technology must be in support of education, research, career, and/or professional development. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that those using the School District’s information resources will do so in accordance with the School District’s mission, educational goals, and the policy and regulations established by the board, administration, regional, state and/or federal agencies. This policy promotes the ethical, legal, and school-related use of the network and ensures Batavia School District 101 is in compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act.
Use of the network for commercial or for-profit activities, personal, financial or commercial gain, political lobbying or illegal purposes is prohibited.
Transmission of material in violation of any state or federal regulation is prohibited. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, copyrighted materials, and materials protected by trade secret.
Violation of any provision of the Illinois School Student Records Act, which governs students’ rights to privacy and the confidential maintenance of certain information including, but not limited to, a student’s grades and test scores is prohibited.
The Internet provides access to information on computer networks worldwide. Each user on the network is required to recognize his/her responsibility in having access to an immense number of sites, systems, services, and people. Pursuant to the Children’s Internet Protection Act, Batavia School District 101 uses filtering software to screen Internet viewing activity and email of all users for offensive material. Nonetheless, users are reminded that no filtering software is one hundred percent effective and it is possible that the software could fail. At times, users may come across inappropriate sites. It is the responsibility of the user to exit the site. The user is responsible for his/her actions and may not access, download, or print from these sites. The Batavia Public School District 101 will not be liable in the event that the filtering software is unsuccessful in preventing access to inappropriate and/or harmful material.
The School District takes no responsibility for any information or materials that are transferred through the internet. Further, the School District makes no guarantees regarding the reliability of the data connection. The School District is not liable for any loss or corruption of data while using a computer and/or Internet connection. The School District reserves the right to examine all data stored in computers, servers and other devices connected to the District’s network, email or Internet access to insure that users are in compliance with these regulations.
Intentional violation of this policy, abuse of the network, and/or illegal conduct, including any form of vandalism to equipment or information, uploading or creation of computer viruses, “hacking”, unauthorized access to the files of other users, or unauthorized access to or unauthorized use of databases, copyright contract and license violations will result in disciplinary action including suspension or revocation of access privileges an/or appropriate legal action.
The actions of users accessing the networks and Internet through the School District reflect on the School District. Users must conduct themselves accordingly by exercising good judgment and complying with this policy and any other administrative regulations and guidelines. Access to the Internet is a privilege, not a right, which requires that each user act in an appropriate and responsible manner.
The School District reserves the right to deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts.
1. Only authorized users, individuals who have signed Acceptable Use Policy agreements on file may use the computers and the network.
2. When using the school’s computer or accessing the network, individuals will:
- Respect the right of others using the network
- Use the Internet only for educational purposes related to the curriculum
- Use appropriate language (not obscenities, vulgarities, threats, harassment, or discriminatory remarks)
- Keep personal information, addresses, phone numbers private
- Respect and uphold copyright and licensing laws
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and student information
3. Individuals may not:
- Misrepresent identity or claim to be acting on behalf of the School District
- Use the network to disrupt the use of the network by others
- Download and/or install and/or use unauthorized software, games, programs, files, electronic media, and/or stand-alone applications
- Damage or attempt to destroy hardware/software, data, or files of other users
- Access, download, transmit and/or create pornographic or obscene material
- Gain unauthorized access to resources or files
- Upload or create computer viruses
No Child Left Behind Act, 20 U.S.C. §6777.
Children’s Internet Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. §254(h) and (l).
Enhances Education Through Technology, 20 U.S.C §6751 et seq. 720 ILCS 135/0.01.
Authorization for Electronic Network Access Form
Students and their parents/guardians need only sign this Authorization for Electronic Network Access once while the student is enrolled in the School District.
Staff members need only sign this Authorization for Electronic Network Access once while employed by the School District.
Please check the appropriate box:
_____ Parent/Guardian of student
- I understand and will abide by the above Acceptable Use Policy. I understand that District 101 and/or its agents may access and monitor my use of the Internet, including my e-mail and downloaded material, without prior notice to me. I further understand that should I commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked, and school disciplinary action and/or appropriate legal action may be taken. In consideration for using the District 101 electronic network connection and having access to public networks, I hereby release School District 101 and its Board members, employees, and agents from any claims and damages arising from my use of, or inability to use the Internet.
User Name (please print): _______________________________________
User Signature: _________________________________________
* Students are required to have a parent/guardian read and agree to the following:
- I have read this Authorization for Electronic Network Access. I understand that access is designed for educational purposes and that District 101 has taken precautions to eliminate controversial material. However, I also recognize it is impossible for District 101 to restrict access to all controversial and inappropriate materials. I will hold harmless School District 101, its employees, agents, or Board members, for any harm caused by materials or software obtained via the network. I accept full responsibility if my child’s use of technology is not appropriate in a school setting. I have discussed the terms of this Authorization with my child. I hereby request that my child be allowed access to the District 101 electronic network and the Internet.
Parent/Guardian Name (please print): _____________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ________________________________________
Date Approved: April 10, 2007