6:140-AP2 Registration Guidelines for Homeless Students
Step 1: Determine if the student is homeless
A student is considered “homeless” if he/she is currently living…
- With relatives or others due to lack of housing.
- In a shelter, motel/hotel, campground or similar housing.
- In a train or bus station, car or abandoned building.
- In temporary housing while awaiting DCFS foster care placement.
Step 2: Enroll the student based on the following guidelines:
All homeless students have the right to:
- Immediate school enrollment (even if they are missing health, immunization, school records, proof of guardianship or proof of residency).
- Enroll in the school he/she was enrolled in when permanently house (school of origin) or..
- Enroll in the school he/she was last enrolled or…
- Enroll in any school that non-homeless students in the same attendance area attend.
- Remain enrolled in his/her SELECTED school for as long as he/she remains homeless or, if the student becomes permanently housed until the end of the academic year.
- Automatic Fee Waiver and Free Lunch (Do not have to fill out fee-waiver forms)
Step 3: Complete the Homeless Interview using the McKinney-Vento Form
- School staff member fills out our McKinney-Vento Homeless Form with family.
- Staff member gathers information about student’s current living situation.
- Staff member inquires about special education/ELL/Gifted Education.
- Staff member asks family about other supports they may need that are indicated on the form, and checks all appropriate boxes.
- Parent and Staff member sign the form.
- Building Staff gathers school supplies for homeless student.
Step 4: Forward Information to Central Office
- Staff member e-mails Homeless Liaison and Finance Secretary the name of the new student
- Staff member forwards Homeless Form to Homeless Liaison
Step 5: Central Office responsibilities
- Finance Secretary will take care of free lunch/fee waiver information
- Homeless Liaison will follow up on other supports listed on the interview form
- Student Services Secretary will take care of the transportation needs
- If student is living in another district and being transported to Batavia, the cost of transportation will be shared with the other district.
Date Approved: January 11, 2012