4:170-AP3 School Security
Building Security Protocols
During school hours:
- All adults, including visitors and staff, shall wear a District-issued identification badge.
- Each school shall have a designated visitors’ entrance, which shall be monitored and controlled by staff.
- Except for designated visitors’ entrances, all exterior doors shall be locked.
- No person shall prop open or prevent an exterior door room being closed and locked unless it is constantly being monitored and controlled by staff.
All adults, including visitors, volunteers, contractors/vendors and staff, shall wear a District-issued identification badge at all times. The badge shall include the individual’s name and photo, and be visible and legible from a ten (10) foot distance. Further, the badges shall be color coded according to the following:
- Green. Indicates that the individual has received a full background check (FBI, Illinois State Police, state sex offender and criminal databases) and, according to role and duties, may have unsupervised contact with students.
- Yellow. Indicates that the individual’s background has been screened (state offender databases) and if in contact with students, line of sight supervision must be maintained by staff.
- Red. Indicates that the individual has received a background check by the District or respective contractor and, due to role and duties, may not have unsupervised contact with students.
Confronting Possible Intruders
Individuals who are not wearing ID and/or have not received appropriate screening should be considered an intruder. If a staff member encounters an intruder:
- Ask to see a District-issued identification badge and inquire about the purpose of their visit to the school.
- Personally escort individuals without an identification badge to the office for screening.
- If the intruder refuses to comply, immediately call 911.
- If students are present, direct them to the nearest classroom with supervision or ask a nearby staff member to supervise the class while you escort the individual to the office.
Date Adopted: November 19, 2019