5:040-AP1 – Communicable and Chronic Infectious Disease
The following procedures will be implemented when a District employee has a communicable and/or chronic infectious disease. A copy of the procedures will be given the employee. Employees with a communicable or chronic infectious disease will be permitted to retain their positions whenever, after reasonable accommodations and without undue hardship, there is no substantial risk of transmission of the disease to others, provided an employee is able to continue to perform the position’s essential functions.
Evaluation of the Employee’s Condition
1. The employee who has or is suspected of having a communicable and chronic infectious disease is encouraged to inform the Superintendent immediately.
2. The Superintendent will inform the District Nursing Team within 3 days.
3. The Communicable and Chronic Infectious Disease Review Team will meet within 3 days to:
a. Meet with the employee or a member of the employee’s family to review the status of the employee’s health, and
b. Evaluate the employee and submit a written report with recommendations to the Superintendent.
4. The School Board will receive a report, both written and verbal, of the District Nursing Team’s evaluation from the Superintendent.
5. The employee or a member of the employee’s family will receive a report, both written and verbal, of the District Nursing Team’s evaluation from the Superintendent.
6. The employee may be required to submit to a physical examination, given by a physician chosen and paid for by the District.
Monitoring Employee’s Condition
The employee’s health condition will be reviewed on a schedule determined by the District Nursing Team. The Team’s employee status report will be given to the Superintendent.
Each status report will indicate an employment recommendation for the employee, such as:
- Continued employment at the same position, with possible accommodations,
- Continued employment but transfer to another position, with possible accommodations,
- Temporary exclusion from the work place, or
The dismissal of an employee on contractual continued service shall be in accordance with 105 ILCS 5/24-12.
The dismissal of an employee not on contractual continued service shall be in accordance with the law or policy applicable to his or her position.
Date Adopted: April 7, 2009
Date Amended: September 20, 2016