2:230 Public Participation at School Board Meetings and Petitions to the Board
At each regular and special open meeting, any person may comment to or ask questions of the School Board, subject to the reasonable constraints established and recorded in this policy’s guidelines below.
The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
- Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
- Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, the time for any one person to address the Board during public comments shall be limited to 3 minutes. When an individual representing a group notifies the Board President and Superintendent in advance of the meeting, the individual may be granted 5 minutes for comments. The names of the people or the organization that the speaker is representing must be provided.
- Observe, when necessary and appropriate, the:
- Shortening of the time for each person to address the Board during public comment to conserve time and give the maximum number of individuals an opportunity to speak.
- Limiting of the minutes for public comment during the designated agenda item to allow the Board to attend to other agenda items. If it is determined to limit the number of minutes for public comments, there shall be a minimum of 30 minutes of comments allowed and then public comments will reopen after the Board addresses the other agenda items.
- Determination of procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise covered in Board policy.
- Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 8:030, Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board in the next regular Board packet.
Date Adopted: June 26, 2012
Date Amended: December 16, 2014
Date Amended: September 24, 2019