2:080 Board Member Oath and Conduct
Each Board of Education member, before taking his or her seat on the Board, shall take the following oath of office:
I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of member of the Board of Education of Batavia Public School District 101 in accordance with the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and the laws of the State of Illinois, to the best of my ability.
I further swear (or affirm) that:
- I shall respect taxpayer interests by serving as a faithful protector of the School District’s assets;
- I shall encourage and respect the free expression of opinion by my fellow Board members and others who seek a hearing before the Board, while respecting the privacy of students and employees;
- I shall recognize that a Board member has no legal authority as an individual and that decisions can be made only by a majority vote at a public Board meeting;
- I shall abide by majority decisions of the Board, while retaining the right to seek changes in such decisions through ethical and constructive channels;
- As part of the Board of Education, I shall accept the responsibility for my role in the equitable and quality education of student in the School District;
- I shall foster with the Board extensive participation of the community, formulate goals, define outcomes, and set the course for Batavia Public School District 101;
- I shall assist in establishing a structure and an environment designed to ensure all students have the opportunity to attain their maximum potential through a sound organizational framework;
- I shall strive to ensure a continuous assessment of student achievement and all conditions affecting the education of our children, in compliance with State law;
- I shall serve as education’s key advocate on behalf of students and our community’s school (or schools) to advance the vision for Batavia Public School District 101; and
- I shall strive to work together with the District Superintendent to lead the School District toward fulfilling the vision the Board has created, fostering excellence for every student in the areas of academic skills, knowledge, citizenship, and personal development.
The Board President will administer the oath in an open Board meeting; in the absence of the President, the Vice President will administer the oath. If neither is available, the Board member with the longest service on the Board will administer the oath.
The Board adopts the Illinois Association of School Boards’ Code of Conduct for Members of School Boards. A copy of the Code shall be distributed at the organizational meeting.
Date Adopted: January 25, 2011
Date Amended: February 19, 2019
Date Amended: November 14, 2023