4:045 AP2 Recovery of Delinquent Debt
Recovery of delinquent school fees and should be used in connection with and serve as additional guidance to Board policy 4:045 Insufficient Fund Checks and Debt Recovery and 4:140 Waiver of Student Fees.
An overdue account with a negative balance that exceeds -$15 shall be considered overdue after thirty days.
A delinquent account with a negative balance that exceeds -$15 shall be considered delinquent after 90 days overdue. Accounts 120 days overdue are subject to fines.
A payment plan is a commitment to pay fees or any outstanding balance on a regular (monthly) basis in full prior to the end of the current school year.
The following guidelines shall be used for delinquent accounts:
- Students with overdue or delinquent accounts shall not be denied a meal or participation from student activities.
- Students should not be singled out or asked about overdue or delinquent accounts. In most cases, students do not have control over payment of fees.
- If the family is not eligible for a fee waiver, they are responsible for all required fees.
- At the time of registration, parents/guardians should be advised of any prior outstanding balance and an attempt to collect the balance due made.
- An overdue or delinquent account may be placed on a payment plan at the parent/guardian’s request.
When money is collected on delinquent accounts, the following list is the order in which such money shall be applied to any outstanding balances:
- Outstanding balance from prior school year(s)
- General registration fees
- Course fees
- Co-curricular/ athletic fees
- Other fees
- Student parking
- Other miscellaneous fees
Outstanding Lunch Account Balances
Until the account is considered delinquent, notices and conditions related to outstanding lunch balances will be coordinated by the school office:
- Students with a negative lunch account balance may purchase a meal, but may not purchase any extras (a la carte items, e.g. cookies, chips, drinks).
- When the lunch balance is more than -$15, a notice will be sent to the parent/ guardian by email or backpack reminder.
Account Collection and Fees
Notices related to overdue or delinquent accounts will be coordinated by the Business Office:
- After thirty (30) days overdue, or when a payment plan defaults, a written notice shall be sent to the parent/ guardian by email.
- After sixty (60) days overdue, a written notice shall be sent to the parent/ guardian by letter and email.
- After ninety (90) days overdue, the account shall be considered delinquent. A written notice shall be sent to the parent/ guardian by certified mail, with return receipt requested.
- After one hundred twenty (120) days overdue, a delinquency fine of 10% of the outstanding balance shall be assessed. Every thirty (30) days thereafter, an additional delinquency fine of $10 shall be assessed to the delinquent account.
- After one hundred (150) days overdue and the balance exceeds -$500 and if no reasonable challenge to the overdue claim is submitted by the parent/guardian, the overdue balance may be sent to a collection agency at the discretion of the Superintendent or designee.
- Delinquency fines may be waived at the discretion of the Superintendent or designee.
- Any outstanding balances shall be carried over to the subsequent school years.
Date Reviewed: April 26, 2016
Date Amended: September 5, 2018