3:040-E1 Position Description
Batavia Public Schools
Educating students today to
meet the challenges of tomorrow
Reports to: Board of Education
Type: 12 Month, Full Time Position
Overall Objective and Summary
The Superintendent is the District’s executive officer and is responsible for the administration and management of the District schools in accordance with Board of Education policies and directives, and State and Federal law. The Superintendent is to keep the needs of all students paramount in the performance of all other duties. The Superintendent is authorized to develop administrative procedures to implement Board of Education policy.
The Superintendent may delegate to other District staff members the exercise of any powers and the discharge of any duties imposed upon the Superintendent by Board of Education policies or by Board vote. The delegation of power or duty, however, shall not relieve the Superintendent of responsibility for the action that was delegated.
The Superintendent shall have the minimum qualifications required by the Illinois School Code.
Critical Job Functions:
- 1.1 The Superintendent develops, implements, and refines a District Mission and Strategic Plan that drive district and Board decisions.
- 1.2 The Superintendent Reviews and Monitors District wide performance and reports progress to the Board and other stakeholders.
- 1.3 The Superintendent leads using Quality Improvement Principles.
- 1.4 The Superintendent evaluates district leaders and holds them accountable to model Quality Improvement Principles and improve results.
- 1.5 The Superintendent incorporates Best Practices into the Leadership System
- 1.6 The superintendent holds leaders accountable for continual improvement and achieving results.
2. Strategic Planning:
- 2.1 The Superintendent sets strategic goals for the district by translating state, stakeholder and community requirements.
- 2.2 The Superintendent requires staff to develop interlocking Improvement Plans aligned to the District Plan.
- 2.3 The Superintendent systematically monitors and reports progress for school, department and division Improvement Plans.
3. Stakeholder and Market Focus
- 3.1 The Superintendent systematically builds positive relations with key stakeholders.
- 3.2 The Superintendent monitors satisfaction and dissatisfaction levels of staff, students, parents, community, and Board.
4. Measurement, Analysis, & Knowledge Management
- 4.1 The Superintendent requires that data are available and District decisions are aligned to the Strategic Plan and are based on data.
- 4.2 The Superintendent ensures that data are available at all levels to compare performance with similar and benchmark districts.
- 4.3 Faculty and staff have access to the information they need for continual improvement and to do their work.
- 4.4 Has a process using a systems approach to monitor schools.
5. Human Resources
- 5.1 The Superintendent establishes systems to provide recognition to those who contribute to District Goals.
- 5.2 The Superintendent enables staff to be successful in empowered work teams and manage their own system.
- 5.3 The Superintendent establishes a training and quality deployment plan aligned to the Strategic Goals.
- 5.4 The Superintendent provides for employee orientation at every level.
- 5.5 The Superintendent has established an employee evaluation system that holds employees accountable to align their work to support District Goals.
6. Process Management
- 6.1 The Superintendent uses a Continuous Improvement Approach Plan-Do-Study-Act to design and improve District processes.
- 6.2 The Superintendent has a systematic approach to develop, document, and update District Policy and Procedures.
7. Performance Results
- 7.1 District performance results are improving compared to past performance results.
- 7.2 District performance is improving as compared to similar districts and organizations.
8. Business/Operation Management
- 8.1 The Superintendent ensures that the district is in compliance with federal, state, and local rules and regulations.
- 8.2 The Superintendent provides sound fiscal management
- 8.3 The Superintendent develops a budget that reflects the goals and objectives of the district strategic plan
- 8.4 The Superintendent provides for the development of short and long term plans to address facility needs of the district
- 8.5 The Superintendent effectively manages and monitors negotiation of contracts with employee groups, and salaries and working conditions of all other district staff.
- 8.6 The Superintendent ensures the health and safety of staff and students.
9. Board Superintendent Relationship
- 9.1 The Superintendent works with the Board in a climate of professionalism and mutual respect.
- 9.2 The Superintendent ensures that materials, reports, and recommendations forwarded to the board are carefully prepared, concise and accurate.
- 9.3 The Superintendent manages reporting of student achievement, system performance and growth to the Board.
- 9.4 The Superintendent is accessible to Board members and others.
- 9.5 The Superintendent exhibits integrity, flexibility, decisiveness, and has excellent interpersonal skills when working with the Board.
- 9.6 The Superintendent demonstrates oral and written communication skills.
|PHYSICAL ABILITY JOB REQUIREMENTS||Not Important||Desirable||Essential||Critical|
|Walking or standing||X|
|Lifting/carrying objects weighing 5-20 lbs.||X|
|Lifting/carrying objects weighing over 20 lbs.||X|
|Pushing/pulling carts, dollies, etc.||X|
|Climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.||X|
|Regularly working at assigned site(s).||X|
|Driving a car, van or truck on public roads or highways||X|
|Proofreading and checking documents for accuracy||X|
|Using a keyboard to enter, retrieve or transform data.||X|
|Dealing with employees, suppliers and/or customers in high-stress situations.||X|
|Conducting performance reviews with employees who report to you.||X|
|Disciplining and when necessary, discharging employees.||X|
|Working in an area that is somewhat uncomfortable due to noise, drafts, etc.||X|
|Working in confined area for 2+ hours at a time.||X|
|Working in an area that is very unpleasant due to temperature, odor, noise, etc.||X|
|Operating heavy equipment and/or performing other very hazardous duties.||X|
|Looking at computer screen/reading data on PC.||X|
By signing this, I affirm that I have read and understand the contents of this document.
Approved: September 9, 2009