Vocational Transition Program
The Vocational Transition Program is a cross-categorical, instructional program for students with intellectual disabilities or Autism. This program is available for students in middle school through high school. The Vocational Transition Program offers a small, structured classroom with an emphasis on functional academics, life skills, social and pragmatic language skills.
- To assist students in acquiring appropriate classroom and social skills in order to function appropriately and successfully in the general education setting and community.
- To provide academic instruction and/or support in the special education and general education settings to maximize student achievement.
- To increase independence in academic, vocational and daily living skills.
- To provide vocational opportunities in the classroom, school and community.
- To build each student’s capacity to become productive members of the school and community.
- A variety of curricular materials are used for academic and functional skills instruction. Examples of instructional tools include: Reading A to Z, Edmark, Saxon and Equals Math.
- Curriculum-based assessments are used to measure progress and inform instruction.
- Students work toward individual goals in order to maximize their potential.
- Students generally participate in the Illinois Alternate Assessment (IAA), as determined by the educational team in grades 6-8 and grade 11.
- Related services are determined by each students IEP and may include: Speech-Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and/or Social Work. In addition, consultative support is provided by the Hearing and Vision Itinerant as individually specified for each student’s IEP.
- Related services are integrated into classroom activities throughout the day. Direct and/or consultative services are provided, as appropriate.
- Specialized Physical Education classes are provided to students in the program on a daily basis.
A Partnership with Parents/Guardians…
- Parent involvement in each child’s educational program is encouraged and welcomed by the VTP team.
- Progress will be communicated to students and parents to monitor student’s progress on a regular basis.
- Academic, social, daily-living and vocational supports will be designed and adjusted based on each student’s individual progress in the VTP program.
- The VTP team is committed to working closely with students and parents to help each student feel successful.