Remote Learning Background and Approach
On March 27, 2020, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker issued Executive Order 2020-15 in response to the COVID-19 outbreak which allows for the use of “Remote Learning Days.” Also, on March 27, The Illinois State Board of Education published Remote Learning Guidance.
Beginning on April 13, 2020, BPS101 will implement the remote learning protocols outlined in this document. These remote learning days will be similar to traditional school days in that attendance will be recorded and students will engage in learning activities facilitated by teachers. The lessons will focus on essential course skills and content appropriate for an extended period of remote learning.
The plan that was created ultimately aligns with guidance from the ISBE that states:
“As educators work to implement these recommendations, we call upon everyone to assume flexibility and grace for all. At this moment, we will all need to model resilience, critical and creative thinking, thoughtful responsiveness, and empathy to ensure that students continue to grow personally, academically, and linguistically.” Remote Learning Recommendations During COVID-19 Emergency, ISBE 3/27/20
This plan seeks to balance the educational needs of students, the conditions of the ongoing pandemic, the guidance from the IL State Board of Education, and the shifts that are required by our staff to facilitate remote learning.
Below are some principles that guide our implementation of remote learning:
- The health and safety of our students, staff, and community are of the utmost importance.
- Remote learning (e-learning) is not a direct substitute for the learning we are able to provide in-person.
- All students, teachers, and families are working to adjust to these circumstances as best as they are able.
- We still have high expectations for our students and staff.
- We commit to learning and growing throughout this process and making adjustments as needed.
- The partnership between school and home is more important than ever, as relationships are the cornerstone of learning.