Phase 2: Discover/Explore
Global Perspective Open House
In case you missed it:
During Phase 2, DLR Group will have a series of workshops designed to gather input on the future of Batavia Public School District 101 from different key stakeholder groups. Each workshop will have an educational/informational component and one or more activities designed to gather input. Generally, these workshops will be 90 minutes in length (unless noted otherwise.)
District Leadership Workshop
- Purpose: To define EFMP Edges and engage in an introductory conversation around Curriculum and Instruction.
- Attendees: Admin and Teacher Leadership
- Date and time: May 2nd 8:30 am
Curriculum and Instruction Staff Workshops
- Purpose: To gather input from staff and students on how the environment could support teaching and learning now and in the future.
- Attendees: Staff and students
- Dates, times, and locations:
- Elementary Staff: Tuesday, Sept. 10th 12:30-3:30 pm at RJAC
- Middle School Staff: Tuesday, Sept. 10th 8:00-11:00 am at RMS
- High School Staff: Friday, Sept. 13th 7:30-10:30 am at BHS
- Students: Friday, Sept. 13th 11:30 am -2:15 pm at BHS
- RMS students depart for BHS at 11:10 and return by 2:40
Global Perspectives Community Open House
- Purpose: To discuss current and future educational practices (global and local) with the community.
- Attendees: Open to the public; Core Team encouraged to attend
- Date and Time: Thursday, Sept. 26th 6:30 pm
- Location: Rotolo Middle School LRC (Event Flyer)
- Presentation Slides from Event
- Video of Event
- Purpose: To gather input from end-users and members of the community who have an interest in sustainability.
- Attendees: By invitation only
- Date and Time: Wednesday, Sept. 4th 4:00-7:00 pm
- Location: RJAC
Following the completion of Phase I, the DLR Group will be ready to meet with the Core Team to 1.) kick off, 2.) review Phase 1 findings, 3.) Review Phase 2 findings. The Core Team will meet from 6:00-7:00 pm at Rosalie Jones Administration Center on Tuesday, Sept. 24th. The Core Team should also plan to attend the Global Perspectives Community Open House on Thursday, Sept. 26th.
5 Key Take-Aways from Core Team Meeting on Sept. 26th
- The goal of this Educational Master Facility Plan (EMFP) process is to be as transparent as possible with the community.
- The community is invited to attend the ‘Global Perspectives’ open house on Thursday, September 26th. There will be more community meetings in the future.
- There are many stakeholders with a wide variety of experiences on the Core Team and this team is responsible for helping the District shape the EMFP.
- This planning process will take 12-16 months to complete from beginning to the final recommendation to the Board of Education.
- When it comes down to it…our mission is all about the kids!
The next Core Team Meeting will take place on Thursday, October 17, 2019 in the Batavia High School LRC from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The objectives are:
- To understand existing school conditions/programs (successes, limitations)
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Start on Guiding Principles
5 Key Take-Aways from the Core Team Meeting on October 17th
- We toured the Batavia High School. It has not changed much since the 1980s and needs much more flexibility based on how students learn today.
- The High School’s physical space is limiting what the staff, teachers, and students can do; but they are being innovative with what they have.
- We want to ensure there is enough program space so that the students who want to participate in programs are able to do so.
- We are doing activities to keep all stakeholders in mind; including their feelings and how a successful master plan might look to them in the future.
- We considered the entire district when participating in a SCOC (Strengths, Challenges, Opportunities, Concerns) Analysis.
The next Core Team Meeting will take place on Thursday, November 7, 2019 in the Louise White Elementary School LRC from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
The objectives are:
- Align the Core Team
- Plan Board Update
- Work to Create Guiding Principles
5 Key Take-Aways from the Core Team Meeting on November 7th
- We discussed how to better communicate internally with teachers and externally with the community and parents.
- This was the first time we discussed things not to touch (or change) in the Educational Master Facility Plan (EMFP).
- We had alignment on large themes that need to be addressed as part of the EMFP.
- We learned how we got to this point, so we can make better choices.
- We learned that, as a whole, we want to stay true to our community identity as we move our schools toward future equity.
Crucial to the process is the ability to tour facilities that align with the information obtained during the workshops listed above. This will afford small groups of administrators and Core Team members to see programs firsthand and ask questions to those who occupy that school/facility.
Board of Education Updates
- Tuesday, May 21st
- Tuesday, Sept. 24th
- Tuesday, Oct. 22nd