Board Highlights: July 18, 2017
The following is a brief recap of the Tues., July 18, 2017, BPS101 Regular Board Meeting. View the agenda and all supporting documents from this meeting and minutes from previous meetings. View BATV’s recordings of previous meetings.
Report: Class of 2017
Batavia High School Principal Dr. JoAnne Smith presented Board Members with a Class of 2017 Exit Report detailing honor roll data, GPA by decile, achievement results, final transcript requests, and post-secondary experiences.
- Out of the 481 students who graduated from the Class of 2017, 39 met the Highest Honors benchmark GPA, which is set at 4.375.
- The top 50% of students had a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- The total number of dual-credit course enrollments (BHS has a reciprocal agreement with Waubonsee Community College) was 442—up from 268 in 2016.
- A record 462 Advanced Placement (AP) exams were taken by 193 students. Exam results will be shared with the Board when scores are received by BHS.
- Based on ACT scores from the spring 2016 Illinois testing day (not necessarily the students’ highest ACT scores), 83% of students met or exceeded College Readiness Benchmarks (CRB) in English and 66% of students met or exceeded CRB in Reading. Both are the highest percentages in BHS history.
- 92% of students reported they would be attending a college or university in the fall. Top 10 selections:
|College or University||No. of Students
(Class of 2015)
|No. of Students
(Class of 2016)
|No. of Students
(Class of 2017)
|Waubonsee Community College||90||98||103|
|University of Illinois-Champaign||18||14||19|
|University of Iowa||10||15||14|
|Illinois State University||19||24||11|
|College of DuPage||11||4||10|
|North Central College||9||10||10|
|Northern Illinois University||1||6||9|
Report: BHS Suicide Prevention Education
During the 2016-17 school year, the Batavia High School Related Services Team reviewed and revised the high school’s Suicide Prevention Plan to best support all BHS students. BHS Principal Dr. JoAnne Smith prepared and shared this overview with Board Members on the prevention plan for the 2017-18 school year and its four tiers of intervention,
Report: Tentative Budget on Public Display
The tentative FY 2018 budget is now on public display. It is also available in hard copy at the Rosalie Jones Admin Center at 335 W. Wilson St., Batavia. A Public Budget Hearing is scheduled for Tues., August 22 at 7 p.m. at the Rosalie Jones Administration Center. Everyone in the the community is encouraged to attend and comment on the budget. The Board will vote on its adoption at the Tues., Sept. 19 Board Meeting. If you have questions about the budget, please contact Chief Financial Officer, Tony Inglese. Budgets from prior years are available from the Illinois State Board of Education’s historical archive.
Report: Facilities Commission
Administration asked the Board of Education to consider developing a Facilities Commission to recommend how BPS101 should create learning environments that will meet the educational needs of students in the future based on these guiding questions:
- What are our future learning environment needs?
- What is our current reality?
- What are the gaps between our current status and future needs?
- What are the factors, including financing and enrollment, that we need to consider in determining options to close the gaps?
- What is the recommended plan?
Board Members brainstormed the idea of a future-ready advisory group, its purpose, and the guiding questions during the Board Meeting. Board Members will be discussing it further at the August 8, 2017, Board Meeting.
Action: Math Curriculum Approval
The Board of Education unanimously approved the mathematics curriculum developed by the BPS Mathematics Leadership Team comprised of administrators and teachers representing elementary, middle, and high school. The Team, which began work in the fall of 2012, was charged with the task of reviewing our current mathematics curriculum and guiding the shift from the old standards to the newly adopted Illinois Learning Standards, developed from the Common Core State Standards.
Regular Board Meeting
Tues., Aug. 8, 7 p.m.
Regular Board Meeting – Public Budget Hearing
Tues., Aug. 22, 7 p.m.
Board Meeting – Building Tours
Wed., Sept. 13, start time tbd (tour will start at Rosalie Jones Administration Center)
Regular Board Meeting
Tues., Sept. 19, 7 p.m.
All meetings are open to the community and are located at the Rosalie Jones Administration Center, 335 W. Wilson St., Batavia.