2017 CANDO Exemplary Educator Awards
Congratulations to all of the recipients of Batavia CANDO’s 2017 Exemplary Educator Awards!
CANDO is a parent-founded group for gifted and high-ability students and their families in BPS101. CANDO sponsors the Exemplary Educator Award to “honor teachers and administrators who go above and beyond to nurture creativity, curiosity, and ingenuity in gifted learners, while supporting and encouraging these students in their development as a whole person.”
Award recipients were nominated in eight categories via an online survey by both parents and students. Nominations were then adjudicated by the CANDO Executive Board. Exemplary Educator Award recipients were presented to the public and the Batavia School Board and BPS101 Administration at the Tues., April 18, 2017, Board of Education Meeting.
Recipients of the 2017 Exemplary Educator Award
- East Side Elementary Educator: Rhonda Gamlin, PE teacher at J.B. Nelson School.
- West Side Elementary Educator, co-recipients: Karen Nellis, Early Childhood teacher; and Kari McQuillan, 4th grade teacher, both at Alice Gustafson School.
- Middle School 6th grade Educator: Amanda Marinko, math teacher
- Middle School 7th grade Educator: Marybeth LaClair, social studies teacher
- Middle School 8th grade Educator: Keith Ozsvath, band director
- High School Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences Educator: Phillip Salisbury, social studies teacher
- High School Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Educator, co-recipients: Christopher Ozarka, math teacher and Kirk Tanka, science teacher
- Administrator: Kristen Stern, instructional technologist/AP coordinator