School Bus Safety Tips
District 101 Transportation takes great pride in their record of safety and service to the students and families of the District. These transportation pros know that both drivers and passengers have to work together in order to ensure a safe ride to school.
- Motorists who share the road with school buses need to know and follow school bus laws.
- Students who use our bus service can greatly increase their own safety by following a few easy guidelines:
- Be on time for the bus.
- Use caution when entering or exiting the bus.
- Stay on your side of the road – far from traffic.
- Wait for the bus to stop and for your driver to signal to cross.
- Check traffic in both directions – then check it again!
- Cross the street directly and do not linger in the road.
- Walk at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Never crawl under a school bus.
- Keep hands, feet, head in the bus at all times.
- Avoid using gadgets near buses. Headphones, cell phones, MP3 players distract from knowing when a bus is approaching.
- Remove, shorten or replace drawstrings on backpacks and clothing as they can catch in school bus doors.