Dear Members of the BPS101 Community:
We have entered the season when extreme weather conditions may cause schools to be closed. The decision to open or close schools is made in consultation with surrounding school districts, our transportation provider, city road reports, and National Weather Service information.
We make every effort to provide a safe and secure school environment. You, however, make the final decision regarding your child’s welfare. If schools are open, please only send your child to school if you feel your local conditions are safe.
To help keep you informed of school closings, we have provided you with the following resources:
1. BPS101 Messenger – You may subscribe to the BPS101 Messenger (email news service) on the district’s website at www.bps101.net/newsletter/subscriptions. School closing information is sent to the “Emergency” notification group, so please select that option when you subscribe.
2. BPS101 Emergency Advisory Line – Please call 630-937-8899 to find out if an emergency advisory has been posted. Information is posted by 6:00 a.m.
3. BPS101 Web Sites – District and school web sites will have notices posted by 6:00 a.m. You can access the BPS101 web site at www.bps101.net. You can also link to individual school sites at http://www.bps101.net/services/schools
4. Twitter.com/bps101 – If you have a Twitter account, you can receive emergency notifications in your newsfeed by following @BPS101. (To receive text notifications via the BPS101 Twitter account, please send a text from your mobile phone to 40404. Type “follow bps101” in the message and send. To stop receiving Twitter Texts, simply respond to any 40404 text with the word OFF.)
5. Facebook.com/bps101 - If you have a Facebook account, you can receive emergency notifications in your news feed by ‘liking’ the BPS101 page at www.facebook.com/bps101
6. Emergency Closing Center – Information is broadcast on all Chicago-area TV stations and on the radio stations WGN AM 720 and WBBM AM 780. You can also access the center directly at www.emergencyclosing.com
Please be advised that notification systems are not perfect. Radio and television notices are not always broadcasted promptly; web pages are not always available; and telephone communications may not always be possible. For this reason, we use multiple communication channels to provide you with accurate and timely information. To ensure that you receive important school closing notifications, I encourage you to access or subscribe to more than one of these resources.
As a reminder, if our schools open in the morning, it is always our intent to remain open all day. If at any time during the day you feel it is not safe for your child to be in school, please pick-up your child. You always make the final determination.
Jack K. Barshinger