English Language Learners
English Language Learners Program
Batavia Public Schools and the faculty and staff of the English Language Learners program are committed to the long-term success of students through growth in: Language Development, Literacy Skills, Content Mastery, Cognitive Competencies, Social Competencies and Emotional Learning.
This program is designed for students who have a language background other than English, as indicted in the Home Language Survey completed by parents or guardians. An individual English Language Proficiency Screener will determine the student's eligibility for ESL services.
- Demonstrate student language and academic growth that closes the achievement gap in math and laguage arts.
- Create a collaborative relatonship with parents, families and school staff sharing responsibility for student achievement.
- Develop a professional learning network within the department.
- Develop systematic and consistent processes to guide instruction for our EL students.
Align district and department resources to best practice for maximum student growth.
This program is designed for students who have a language background in Spanish as indicated on the Home Language Survey completed by parents or guardians. An individual English Language Proficiency Screener as well as a Spanish Language Proficiency Screener will determine the students' eligibility.
We educate and supprt bilingual students and families culturally and linguistically while building English language proficiency. In collaboration with the community and district staff, we provide an equitable educational experience to ensure college readiness and to prepare them to be participants in a global society.
- Provide increased community involvement and decision making opportunities with the Bilingual programming. Including: workshops, family events, celebrations, community education and district information supported with native language.
- Collaboratively develop common curriculum and assessments aligned with grade level standards, ELA standards and Spanish Standards.
- Continued professional development in the areas of biliteracy, common core standards, proficiency levels and expectations and cultural diversity; advocate and inform the school staff on specific bilingual students' needs in a PLC.
A Partnership with Families
- Parent involvement in each child’s educational program is encouraged and welcomed by the ELL staff and school communities.
- Telephonic translation services will be provided for all parent communication.
Bilingual Parent Advisory Council is an opportunity for parents to collaborate with school personal to continuously improve Bilingual and ESL programming.
Meetings will be held at HC Storm Elementary School at 6:00pm.
- September 30th
- November 11th
- January 13th
- March 17th
- May 12th
- Meetings will be held at HC Storm Elementary School at 6:00pm.