English Language Learners
English Language Learners Program
Batavia Public Schools and the faculty and staff of the English Language Learners program are committed to the long-term success of students through growth in: Language Development, Literacy Skills, Content Mastery, Cognitive Competencies, Social Competencies and Emotional Learning.
- Demonstrate student academic growth that closes the achievement gap.
- Strengthen the partnerships with the parents of our students.
- Develop a professional learning network within the department.
- Develop sustainable and repeatable processes to guide instruction for our ELL students.
Align district and department resources to best practice for maximum student growth.
This Program is Designed for …
The Home Language Survey completed by parents/guardians for all newly enrolling students is for the purpose of identifying students who have a language background other than English. If this is accurate for an enrolling student, then that student is given an individual English language proficiency screener to determine the student’s eligibility for and placement in a bilingual/ELL education program.
A Partnership with Parents/Guardians…
- Parent involvement in each child’s educational program is encouraged and welcomed by the ELL staff and school communities.
- Parent Advisory Council will meet four (4) times each school year and all parents are invited to participate.
- Telephonic translation services will be provided for all parent communication.